Monday, February 17, 2014

Blog Post #5

"Conversations with Anthony Capps"

What I learned:

In the first video "Project Based Learning Part 1: Experiences of a 3rd Grader" we are introduced to Anthony Capps, a former EDM 310 student who is now a 3rd grade teacher in Baldwin County. Dr. Strange asks Anthony questions about Project Based Learning and how he uses this in his classroom. Mr. Capps tells about how he thinks Project Based Learning works efficiently, helping students learn the material they need for their projects along with completing the projects at the same time. Mr. Capps also states that the students are "driven by content", meaning that the projects he creates for his students drive them to have the need to know more on that subject.

In the video "Discovery Education", I learned about a type of learning tool that I had never heard of before. Discovery Education is an online tool for students to help learn about a certain subject or thing on a level the teacher might not know about. This tool has videos from experts on certain subjects that the students may want to know more about. During this video Dr. Strange makes a comment saying pretty much that students learn better by seeing than hearing 50 percent of the time. I agree with this comment a lot, I am one of those students that learns more by seeing than hearing.

Another video I found interesting was "Use Tech-Dont Teach It". In this video Dr. Strange and Mr. Capps discuss the controversy of technology in the classroom and how it should be incorporated into classrooms everyday. Mr. Capps talks about how instead of teaching technology, you should incorporate it into your assignments and have the students using the technology as a way to learn it. When incorporating this kind of technology into your classroom, Mr. Capps says you should do it slow, and adding new technology factors in weekly. I really like the way Anthony Capps talks about the way teachers should use technology in the classroom and agree with his methods.

I learned a lot from Dr. Strange and Anthony Capps video discussions. I loved the way Anthony talks about how he teaches and involves technology into his classroom. I hope that when I become a teacher I am as organized and focused on helping my students to learn through all the different ways that he does. It is so nice seeing teachers today excited and enthused about the things they do and want to do in their classrooms!

4 comments:

  1. Are you enthused by your chosen profession. How far along are you on the road to being prepared to be a PBL teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about Mr. Capps be enthused about teaching. There are so many teachers today who just sit behind a desk and give their students busy work. He is making class enjoyable for the children, and they are still learning. This is what I hope to accomplish as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Project based learning is a fabulous idea for kids to learn and understand things in a better and efficient way.This tool discovery learning has many benefits in terns of class and students.

    Do my Coursework for me

    ReplyDelete